Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day

So yesterday was Memorial Day and John, Tyler and I went to the Riverside National Cemetary to check out his grandpa's site and my dad's site. It was pretty cool to see american flags flying everywhere in honor of all the veterns. Some markers didn't have any flags, I don't know if certian sections were sponsored with flags or what. Because all the american flags that are placed on each gravesite are donated, nothing is given by the government (surprising?). It was cool to see that my dad's and John's grandpa's section was blanketed with the american flag. It's pretty ironic that John's grandpa and my dad were in the same tech 5 in the US army. We both don't know what that means though. I'm sure tech 5 was a big group. We often wonder if they knew each other.
Tyler was enjoying all the flags and all the motorbikes that were going by. He saw a marker without a flag and put a flag we brought on the gravesite. So precious.
I was telling him about my dad, his "pappy" and how proud pappy would have been of him. When we were leaving I said to say bye to pappy...he kissed his hand and said "muah" on his gravesite. I tell ya, just when you think your kid doesn't really understand, he does.
John's grandpa's gravesite is like 7 rows over...they died within a month in a half of each other.


No comments: