Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Anyone else want to be sick?


Speak now or forever hold your wallet! So last week was Tyler, this week I guess it's my dog? My dog has had her fair shares of surgeries, ear infections and everything else. I know some people think dogs don't need to go to the vet all the time. They don't need shots. Surgeries for dogs? Ha. Pet Insurance, ha. Well you wouldn't catch me saying those things. Since we have had Kali, she has had 2 major surgeries. We came close to one last year, but so far, her back is doing fine. I wouldn't do the surgeries if I didn't have to. First one, went in to do deep cleaning of her ear canals (pluck the hair-poodles tend to grow them deep in their canal.) So I said what the heck, while she's under, give her a hysterectomy!! I get a call at work saying they have my dog on the table (at this point Im thinking, that's nice of them to call me while their in the middle...) The doctors proceeds to tell me something about her uterine horn...blah blah...missing kidney...hyperplasia...blah blah...urine filled sac about 10cm...blah blah...no right ovary...I say what? English...My dog (who is full breed bought by a AKC breeder) has no right kidney, no right ovary and the tissur that was suppose to be her kidney is filled with urine that at some point in time SOON will burst if it's not removed. So of course they proceeded. 2 nights later and a drugged up dog, there goes her first surgery. We bought her in late August, this surgery took place the week before thanksgiving that same year. Let's fast forward a year...knee problem. Another genetic problem. Luxating patella. I saw the xray, it was sad. It was worse when she would hop around the house whimpering when it would pop out. We did try medicine at first, but we had to take the surgical approach. Second one down. A year later...she whimpers again...this time her back. I guess, I mean I know...she is missing cushioning in between to of her vertabres. She already has some calcifications, but luckly no surgery and a cortisone shot took care of that one...So today she just has a double ear infection. Can be treated with her Otocleanse followed by her Otomax. And she has to take Clavamox by mouth 2 times a day. I love that dog...but I'm seriously thinking of getting pet insurance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something is in the water.

Kimberly's dog goes in for surgery today. Ken and Sarah's dog was whimpering last night.

When Ken was explaining the symptoms it made me feel heart broken. They can't afford the vet. Dog insurance sounds like a great idea.

If Kali needs a chew toy I can bring over some stuffed animals:)

Anonymous said...

that is sad. cali needs a loan.