Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Story

So my doc is on maternity leave and I get stuck with Dr. Frankenstein. Yeh, that's right. But they pronounce it "steen", but after being treated by him, it's the square forehead hands out walking guy...

I was born with a heart murmor-no big deal. So he heard it and informed me. I told him I knew. He then asked me why I didn't tell him. (fair question) I told him every doctor that I have came across lately have not heard it. He understood.

I was telling him my symptoms and he asked where I worked. I dread telling docs I work for one, because they tend to stereotype. (I do) They think you think you know it all. You research everything. (I do--but just to gain knowledge not a hyperchondriac...it's hyperthyroidism =) ) So I told him I wasn't one of "those". He laughed and didn't believe me.

He tells me he thinks I might have an infection "somewhere" in my body and he wants to do some blood work. I asked him he if thought it was my thyroid. He said, "Oh no, your thyroid looks fine." (Mind you he never touched my throat! Just heard my heart...for 10 mintues) "But" he said, "I will check it anyway." Well gee thanks Doctor, because that's what I paid my $25 copay for. For you to assess me and LISTEN to me that I have lost 25 pounds in 2-1/2 months. Not what just you heard. So of course I have no infection in my body, just a whacked out Thyroid.



He wants to see me in a month. I don't care to go, but it would be fun to say I told you so.

FYI...this is coming from someone that works for a doctor. Some people have to manage their own care. Help the doc along. Because sometimes doctors get use to diagnosing one thing and don't really look at the whole picture. I just have a measley thyroid problem, thank God it wasn't my heart or anything else.


No comments: